Friday, July 24, 2015

Day 1

We began in... Las Vegas, Nevada
36.1215° N, 115.1739° W
Our family has embarked on a two week vacation and we are so incredibly excited about this trip. Eight of those days are being spent in the western United States.  On our agenda are places and scenery that none of us has ever seen before - so many incredible memories to make!  One of the best things about my family is the memories we make together - the long car rides and the silly games, the conversations my husband and I hear in the back when our kiddos have no choice but to have fun together because there are no other distractions, the laughter, the food, the photo ops...

After driving to Georgia, our family's origin state, and having a quick visit with my niece and her husband, we said goodbye to our OES, left her with her cousin doggies and headed to the ATL airport.  



We flew into Vegas, rented our van, and spent the first night near the airport.  
With an early rise the next day, mainly because our bodies were still on East Coast time, we checked out of the hotel and headed toward California and Death Valley!

Okay, so I've already said that we've never seen this part of the country before so pardon me while I gush over the amazing landscapes!  It was dark when we arrived in Vegas so when my husband woke me the next morning, one of the first things he said to me was, "You've got to promise to not ask me to stop the car every few miles for photos because I know you are gonna want to! The views are amazing!"  He was right. But I've been good so far though, I must say.

Our first stop was the California state line.  Honestly, I was expecting a much bigger welcome-to-sunny-California sign but I guess on our less than popular route, this sign was the best we got!  
When we crossed the road back to the car, one of the kids noticed that Nevada didn't even have an official "Welcome to Nevada sign." Instead, they had a spray painted notice on the road!



Nevada - California state line
We made our way through gorgeous landscapes to Death Valley National Park. Within the park is the lowest point in the United States, Badwater Basin.  

A name that stuck to the location after a traveler tried to get his mule to drink from the water in the area.  When the mule refused to drink the water the traveler assumed it was "bad." Technically, it's not bad, just salty.  The entire area has salt deposits and an incredibly textured terrain. The downside to visiting in July - the heat!!!  Let me rephrase - the HEEEEEEAAAAAT!!!!  The temp while we were there was a stifling 119 degrees! Seriously, I love summer and being warm. I have always lived in the south and my guy has often stated that I could live on the sun and still need a blanket, but this was crazy hot!  The heat radiated from the ground in those wavy, mirage-like patterns. Don't let anyone tell you a dry heat isn't hot!  A temp of 119 degrees is doggone hot!! But regardless, it was sooo worth a visit!





You can see the wavy heat rising from the ground out by my guy and our son. 
This makes my heart happy!

For some reason they felt it necessary to taste the salt!  Gross...

My 4 favs!


This area is called Devil's Golf Course - my guy, appropriately, in his golf stance on the left!
I just love the color in this shot!  Honestly, the pics just don't do the landscapes justice!

Within 45 minutes of leaving Badwater Basin and being over 280 feet below sea level, we pulled to the side of road to snap some pics and climb a few rocks - elevation 5000+ feet and a much better temp of the low 80s!! Interestingly, we didn't see any animal life in the park.  Honestly, it was strange to not see even a bird flying around!






Exiting the park left us a few hours north of Los Angeles and left us in no man's land - or so it seemed.  Not much to see but desert landscape, brush, rocks, mountains in the distance and of course, windmills!



We drove into a very crowded Hollywood for a quick stop at the Walk of fame and a view of the famous hand prints in front of TCL Chinese Theatre (used to be Mann's and before that Grauman's) and then off to a drive through Beverly Hills!


Beverly Hills silhouette
We ended our day by visiting the Santa Monica pier and dipping our feet into the Pacific Ocean!  



Next stop, Disneyland!



No comments:

Post a Comment