Tuesday, January 10, 2017

from Gwacheon City - Day 5

This day marked the first day of school for Ji Ho and Hyeonji at an American high school!  They were up early in anticipation and at breakfast I asked if they were nervous. They said, "Yes."  I asked what they were nervous about and they responded, "About making friends."  Teenage concerns are universal aren't they!  I, of course, told them they had nothing to worry about; that I thought they would have no trouble at all! I mean after all, so far they have traveled halfway around the world and are staying with a family that they had never met until five days ago! They are brave!!

In the Patterson home, we have two First Day of School traditions.  (My children will tell anyone that I'm the queen of traditions! It's really a secret ploy of mine to help them cherish their time at home so much that they will want to return often once they are grown.) The first tradition is to take a First Day of School photo in the same spot each year. My kiddos hold up their fingers representing their new grade level for the year.  I showed the girls the photos this morning on display by where the kids hang their bookbags and told them I had to have their First Day of School picture! They sweetly complied.

Ji Ho's first day at American high school.

Hyeonji's first day at American high school.

The second tradition is after school ice cream.  We have always taken this time to talk about how their first day went.  So, of course, we took Ji Ho and Hyeonji for ice cream to one of our favorite local spots - Purple Penguin! After several flavor combinations and multiple toppings piled, we heard all about their day... which they said was hard, but they said it smiling so all is good!






I enjoyed my ice cream but enjoyed hearing about their day more!

The evening was spent around our dinner table talking about America and Korea and enjoying one of our favorite Southern meals - barbecue, macaroni and cheese, baked beans and cole slaw.  We've noticed that our girls are much more modest in their portions than we Americans are, but the mac and cheese did earn a second helping. :-)

Ji Ho summed it up... "This is the best dinner yet!"

No comments:

Post a Comment