Saturday, July 27, 2019

Wild, Wild West Senior Trip - Day 1

The Patterson home is filled with traditions from silly Christmas videos to birthday plates to baking and so on. My goal... load my kiddos with warm memories! And in return, I get some beautiful ones too! 

My not-so-little-guy has reached one of those traditions - his senior trip. My guy and I decided years ago that for each child, for high school graduation, we would give them memories, a trip together. Plan a trip, let them pick (within reason of course!) and have fun! Focus just on the one kid! And they could invite a friend.

My oldest pick the hustle and bustle and excitement of New York City! It was right up her alley. This guy, not so much! He picked the wide open spaces and a driving expedition!

Today was Day 1 of Wild, Wild West Senior Trip. It was mostly a driving a day. Up early - 4:00AM! We left the house at 4:24 and jumped on I-40 and pretty much stayed on it all day. We made our way, sleepily, into Tennessee, headed to Nashville.





We arrived in Nashville a little ahead of schedule and decided to check out the Parthenon. The Lightning Thief book series is my not-so-little-guys all time favorite. If you are familiar, then you know that Nashville's Parthenon was included in the movie. 





Athena was a giant!!! The god, Nike, that she holds in her hand is 6 feet 4 inches. She is beautifully gilded in 23.75 karat gold. Ginormous bronze doors flank the front and back of the Parthenon and each weighs 7.5 tons!



Comparing themselves to Nike's height.








We stopped in Nashville to join a small family celebration for Aunt Joan - her 85 birthday! I love that I am blessed with people in my life that make family a priority! 



Back on the road, we began our trek to Arkansas; Little Rock was to be our stopping point for the night. 

As tradition has it on our Wild West trips, we typically stop for pics with state signs. However, Arkansas's sign has to be on the go - it hangs high in the middle of the bridge crossing the Mississippi River. 



Mississippi River



We reached Little Rock late but the guys still found time to take a dip in the pool. It's off to bed and up early for another big driving day! We go through 4 states tomorrow!!!
#kuwtp

No comments:

Post a Comment