Friday, July 20, 2018

Wild, Wild West... Part II - Day 2

Day 2 - Teton National Park


Well, I'm already behind on my vacation blogging because... well, because vacation is fun and busy and I was sleepy last night!


We began Day 2 and our Teton Tour with Mormon Row - a small section of the park that still has some remaining structures from the late 1800's. These structures were part of homesteads built by Mormons who settled here as part of the Homestead Act. I mean what an amazing place to pick with the view of the Tetons out your back window!




After Mormon Row, we headed for Signal Mountain, elevation 7720. We drove to the top, spying a rather large elk along the journey just relaxing in the grass watching all the tourists stare at it!


The top of Signal Mountain gave us a nice view of the Tetons and the plateau below. 


Next we explored the Jenny Lake area where we stopped to eat our lunch and were joined by a Momma Moose and her baby! 




They simply strolled down the stream munching on the vegetation along the side of the water. My three kiddos, of course, were already in the water because... well, because it's water and screams, "Please come, children, step in - you'll like it!"

Moose gawking






After lunch and the moose viewing, we had planned to take the Jenny Lake shuttle across the lake and then a short hike to Hidden Falls. However, the shuttle was what we thought crazy expensive for a family of five to see some falls so we opted for the String Lake hike instead. It's a hike that was rated easy (I must say I think it's easy-moderate...) and gave us great elevated views and lots of woodland wildflowers for me to shoot as we hiked. At first, I was a little hyper aware of my surroundings waiting for a bear to pounce but then settled in to enjoy!



Top of String Lake Trail





He always finds the big rocks!

Toward the end of String Lake trail in an area that had suffered a wildfire in 1999 - charred logs and trees still remain.

The kiddos enjoyed a little more water time and then we packed back into the car and tried to find an eagle's nest we had spotted the day before. We found it, but it's only resident was what we think was a very young eagle. We'll try again another day in hopes to find the adult!







My Guy!

We enjoyed dinner at a local Jackson Hole restaurant, complete with outdoor seating and a corn hole game!  Our drive through the town of Jackson, gave us a surprise - a Moose seemed to be checking out the TJ Maxx! Just strolling through the parking lot! 


After dark, my guy and I headed out to see if I could capture some astro shots of the Tetons. The moon wasn't my friend, so I settled for a shot with no mountains, but it did include Mars and a little bit of the Milky Way!


By the way, National Parks are spooky at night! :-)

Day 2 Sightings: Moose and baby moose, Elk, Prairie Dogs, Bison, Young Eagle, Deer, Pronghorn and Chipmunks

No comments:

Post a Comment